I go to the store for frozen berries, because I haven’t had the fresh picked kind for years. I dig for my favorite cookie dough pie crust recipe that is simply labeled “Gayle’s Pie Crust”, mix it up by hand and pour those sugared store bought berries inside. I have just enough dough to make four not so perfect hearts for the top of it. It bakes up nice and tastes like pure heaven. The perfect combination of sugar and tart.
Joy is everywhere but sometimes we just don’t have eyes to see it. When I was a child picking the fresh kind of berries with my grandpa, I would not have counted it as pure joy. It was hot and July and I whined a lot. Today, I long for that hot July day and one more afternoon with him, quiet as he was.
I’ve been counting gifts for months simply to train my eyes to see it. To see that store bought berries can be pure joy, too. Big things or small, if we don’t have eyes to see it—they just slip away into the busyness of our days and simply become the mundane.
I’m growing in this area. Are you growing, too? I wonder just how long it will take me. Only God knows for sure. Rejoice with me friend, for He is not finished with us yet.
The Joy Dare….
673. A sweet pair of tiny sparkly shoes that remind me she won’t be little forever.
674. Shopping with my girls – and how it is working out my own need of patience.
675. Veggie chips.
676. My very ‘almost’ grown up girl.
677. Yes, the pool all week long. Just lounging.
678. Music that tunes my heart to His.
680. Nail polish like a rainbow.
681. Shopping for super daddy’s birthday.
682. Blackberries – bring memories of July days pickin’ with my papaw.
683. Cute aprons.
684. Darth Baby – she cracks me up.
685. Surprising myself with goodness from the oven.
686. A hand drawn card that took her days.
687. 2nd helpings of pie.
688. Girls all piled up watching cartoons with daddy.
689. Meds to make a fever go down.
690. He calls me friend. John 15:15
691. He has overcome the world. John 16:33
692. His prayers are for me too. John 17:20
693. 90% of God’s Word read in 77 days. Only by His strength.